Return from New Orleans

I just returned from my little book signing tour in New Orleans. I’m tired, but excited because it went so well. After the signing at the Ruston Library Thursday night, I had to pack for the trip. I only got a couple of hours sleep, and was on the road by 3:30 a.m. Reached New Orleans in time to visit my publishing company, Pelican, before my first signing at the Algiers Naval Exchange. Security was tight, and there were all kinds of hoops to jump through. (Don’t go to a military base without proof of insurance and car title!) After I was signed in by the commissary staff, I took my station at the Exchange and sold lots of books. All were wives of men stationed there. Military mothers are really cool—so down to earth, so concerned about their children. I also read from my book to a group of 34 children in summer camp there. I had a grand time.

From Algiers, I drove to Napoleonville and did a living history/book talk presentation with a Civil War show and tell table and a talk and some music on my guitar. There too I was well received and sold a good number of books. From there I went to my friend’s house in Napoleonville where I spent the night.

Saturday, I drove to the 1850’s house on St. Anne Street in the French quarter. This place was a bookstore and museum sponsored by the Friends of the Cabildo. Really interesting and committed people work there. I set up a table outside and was selling books like crazy till it started raining and I had to retreat inside. The crowds coming in dwindled, and so did sales.  After I fulfilled my commitment of time, I returned to my friend’s house in Assumption Parish. We ate at a very Cajun seafood place, watched a documentary about the wild poet, Bukowski, and then retired. (I became fond of Abita beer on this trip!)

Today, Sunday, I was at Tisket A Tasket close to Cafe Dumond on Decatur Street. I only had to retreat inside because of the rain for 20 minutes in the four hours I was there. I sold all but four of the books they had ordered. The owners were very pleased. I drove home to Monroe, mostly in the rain. Sometimes the rain was coming down so hard I could only drive 20 mph on the Interstate!

At any rate, I’m glad to be home. I’m behind in my correspondence, and tons of work has piled up here, but I’m learning the work is what the career of writing is about. Elizabeth George says a writer will make it if he or she has talent, passion, and discipline. I hope I have all three. If not, I will soon. I’ll probably talk more of New Orleans in future posts.